Sunday, December 27, 2009

Vanilla Roasted Pears

Now that we are in Vegas, we are not running off early Sundays to volunteer at Unity. I find myself now using the time to be creative with our late morning breakfasts.

This morning I woke up thinking about what I might do with the ripening pears in the kitchen. I came across a recipe at Smitten Kitchen that seemed perfect. After tasting the pears, I declared them the best pears I had ever cooked.

This dish is excellent as a brunch side dish or dinner dessert. Serve them warm over oatmeal or with a dollop of creme fraiche or scoop of butter pecan ice cream. If you don't want to work with the vanilla beans, sprinkle cinnamon instead. I sprinkled roasted walnuts over mine. Whatever you decide to do, make these pears...they will not disappoint.

Vanilla Roasted Pears

4 Medium pears, not fully ripe, peeled, halved and cored with stem
1/2 Vanilla bean
2 tbs Xylitol or sugar
1/2 lemon
2 tbs water
2 tbs unsalted butter


Preheat oven to 375. Split beans and mix seeds with sugar. Place pears in baking dish, cut side up. Squeeze lemon and sprinkle sugar over fruit evenly. Divide butter so each pear has a bit. Split the bean and spread the seeds among the pears. Add the water.

Roast pears for 30 min, basting ocassionaly. Turn pears overs and continue roasting 25-30 min, or until pears are tender and carmelized.

Makes 4 servings

Oven baked white truffle butter and brie omelet. I whisked 2 egg whites until they were about 4 x their original volume. I added 3 extra large eggs and 4 tablespoons almond milk (any dairy will do), pink salt and pepper. I heated a bit of white truffle butter and poured the egg mixture into the oven safe skillet. Over med-low heat, I cooked the eggs for about 5 min, until the bottom 1/2 looked set. I arranged brie slices just before popping into the oven to finish the cooking process.

A bed of spinach and a glass of Perrier and brunch is served.

No comments: