Thursday, July 1, 2010

Tarts....Of The Tomato Kind

My tart pans that were given to me as a wedding gift have never before been used. It took seeing David Lebovitz's blog on a tomato tart to finally get me over my fear of tarts. . Along with having a proper pan, I had a bowl full of ripening tomatoes on the counter.

This wasn't one of those fancy, shiny tarts of perfection you peer at in European bakery windows. This was rustic vegetable and cheese fare for every day. I am happy to report that my first tart turned out perfectly, enhanced by garden fresh basil, pine nuts and an almond parmesan crust. It was a hit with an arugula salad for dinner and a egg for lunch the next day.

Best of all, when I posted a photo of my creation on David's FB page, he complimented me on adding cheese to the crust!


David Lebovitz - my French Tomato Tart inspiration.









Comfy Belly's Caramelized Onion, Tomato, Goat Cheese Tart recipe had the best gluten free savory crust I could find. Don't be put off by the flourless crust...it was delicious.










Almond flour, grated parmesan and a little salt and water. A crust with a low glycemic rating and protein is a better option for my nutritional needs. It was fantastic.

Ina Garten's Tomato Goat Cheese Tarts










Ina's builds her tarts on puff pastry, store bought and convenient.

Simply Recipes' Tomato Pie utilizes a pie shell for added convenience and a mouth watering cheese topping.










Ellie Kreiger's Cornmeal Crust










For those looking for a cornmeal crust...and more roasted vegetables.

Chez US has a Savory Tomato Tart that is a bit more elegant.










For special occasions or entertaining, the goat cheese custard of this tomato tart elevates it to celebration status.

I can immediately imagine a version with zucchini, feta and mint.

No comments: