Sunday, April 17, 2011

San Antonio Pilates

Beloved San Antonio. April 6-11 found me there for a workshop with my Master Teacher, Pat Guyton, at a the studio I was formerly employed by, Studio A Pilates. I also enjoyed a few extra days catching up with dear friends and shopping at favorite haunts such as Central Market and Lululemon Athletica Quarry Market.


Best of all, I got to stay with one of my best friends, Dana, with her new husband at their new creekside home in Boerne.

My first night there, Bill and Dana hosted the "Pilates Mafia" - Dana, Jean and Martha, with a true Texan bbq.

I met Mary Permann on her lunch break at The Cove. Mary was one of my teacher-in-training clients that became a friend ... and go-to girl for Doug!

Jill Tarpey is a lovely woman I met when she was performing ballet and teaching NIA. She has since moved into the world of yoga. She made time to give us a class at her new in home yoga studio before we began our Pelvic Power workshop.

Our workshop began with a Franklin Method Pelvic Power class. Pat Guyton uses brilliant props and imagery to teach functional movement. This participatory exercise taught us about our pelvic floors.

These are the cookies by Lily's Cookies that Studio A served at the break during the Pelvic Power workshop. I resisted because I removed grains from my diet this past Jan. I also was beginning the Xtreme Fat Loss diet and exercise program the next day. If I knew then what I know now, I would have eaten the cookie.

All Pilates and no play make for an unbalanced life. It was our duty to meet up at Paloma Blanca after a long Saturday session for some margaritas and Mexican food.

On Sunday, Pat demonstrated how she conducts a private session with a client. Here she increases the complexity of Mermaid by having the client in a tripod stance, increases the benefit by having the client rotate as well.

The trip was made complete when the Aguirres met me at the Henderson Starbucks for a face to face catch up.

The best part of this trip is knowing I get to do it all over again in June!