Sunday, July 6, 2008

Foil Salmon And Zucchini

Doug and I just returned from our July 4th celebration in Houston. Our friends, Graham and Shelly, hosted us for a bird's eye view of the fireworks on Friday at her office building. Bill and Dana treated us to a homemade fish fry with a peach, mint and rum concoction on Saturday. We left early Sunday to have a day at home to ourselves.

One of my projects over the weekend was to prepare my next blog post for Create My Event. It will be a book review of Jennifer Rubell's Real Life Entertaining. Today, Doug and I prepared one of her recipes.

Aluminum-Foil Salmon And Zucchini

1 tbsp evoo
2 1/2 lbs salmon fillet
3 zucchini, sliced in quarters

1/2 c dry white wine
salt and pepper
1 tbsp butter, cut in small pieces
6 springs fresh thyme

1/4 c chopped parsley

Preheat oven to 375. Cut off enough foil double the size of the salmon with room to fold the end. Oil one side of the foil. Place Salmon skin side down on the prepared foil. Scatter the zucchini around the fish. Add the wine, salt and pepper. Dot the fish with the butter and place the thyme sprigs on top. Sprinkle entire dish with parsley. Seal the foil package and cook for 12 min.

For real life entertaining, serve the fish tableside in from the foil pack.

Actually, Rubell's recipe inspired me since I more or less combined my vegetable pouch recipe with her salmon foil one: I substituted dill for the parsley and lemon juice for the wine. I also added cherry tomatoes, lemon and shallot slices and minced garlic. The thyme sprigs are from my patio!


On our trip, I came across this low fat, low calorie sherbet in Shelly's Southern Living magazine. I just had to try this! Next time, I will reduce the sugar. I made mine
with the thawed frozen berries. I also chopped a cup of frozen berries
and added during the last 7 minutes of churning.

Strawberry-Buttermilk Sherbet

Makes about 4 1/2 cups Prep: 15 min., Chill: 1 hr., Freeze: 2 hr.

2 cups fresh strawberries*
2 cups buttermilk
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Process strawberries in a food processor or blender 30 seconds or until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Pour strawberry puree through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a large bowl, pressing with back of a spoon. Discard solids. Add buttermilk, sugar, and vanilla to puree; stir until well blended. Cover and chill 1 hour. Pour strawberry mixture into freezer container of a 1 1/2-qt. electric ice-cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.

*1 (16-oz.) package frozen strawberries, thawed, may be substituted.

Southern Living, MAY 2008

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I think your blog might be having browser compatibility
issues. When I look at your blog in Chrome, it looks fine
but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that,
superb blog!

Feel free to surf to my blog; http://businesselectricityrates.org.uk []