Monday, September 24, 2007

For Katie
















In memory of Katherine Bell, my mother-in-law, who passed away September 9, 2007.

I wish I had known you when

I wish I had known you when you dressed and danced like Astaire and Rogers.

I wish I had known you when you courted and married your life mate, Chauncey.

I wish I had known you when you were raising your three small children.

I wish I had known you when you served your Baltimore community as a member of the Junior League.

I wish I had known you when you made the big move to make a home on the southern coast of California.

I wish I had known you when you organized New Thought events and promoted the movement.

I wish I had known you when you struggled to find meaning in your life after your children were grown.

I wish I had known you when you explored and traveled the world in your golden years.

I wish I had known you when your spine was straight, your body was strong and your lifestyle was active.

I wish I had known you when you thought private thoughts and dreamed secret dreams.

I wish I had known you then.

By Carolyn Bell

A loving daughter-in-law

No comments: