Friday, June 15, 2007

Bless His Heart

Bless His Heart. This is a phrase we Southern gals say when the men we love exhibit some thought or action that leaves us secure in our superiority among the two sexes. It is also the title of a new book by my friend Deborah Ford. Doug and I have arranged for Deborah to come to San Antonio as part of her book tour. We are hosting a cocktail reception in her honor on July 7. She will also appear at Barnes and Noble July 8 from 2-4 pm at 281/1604.

My daughter, Jessica, first introduced me to Deborah with her book,
GRITS (Girls Raised In The South) Guide to Life. She is the merchandising genius behind the GRITS apparel and gifts you see in boutiques and at Cracker Barrel. Jessica and I had the opportunity to meet her in person when she was a speaker at the Southern Lady Celebration held in Nashville two years ago. I liked her instantly. When she spoke about the challenges she had encountered and overcome to run a award winning, multimillion dollar enterprise, I was touched.

I was also motivated to find an opportunity celebrate her. Now that time has come. The Texan women I have come to know will likely confer with Deborah that loving and living with Southern men requires a good sense of humor. Since the men will be present, we will laugh with, not at, them!

No comments: