Saturday, May 30, 2009

Loco for Coconut

I am consuming a great deal of coconut these days. This started back when we were on our detox diet. Coconut is highly nutritious and is now medically linked to good health. The good news is: it is good tasting and good for you.














Coconut oil is a medium chain fat, the kind that helps with heart health and lowering bad cholesterol. It has antimicrobial effects and supports the immune system. I use it in the place of shortening in recipes. It can be warmed to resemble vegetable oil for recipes that call for that. It has a high smoke point so makes a good choice for sauteeing. It is rancid resistant.











Coconut water is the clear liquid that comes from young coconuts. It is highly hydrating and alkalizing. It contains high levels of potassium, calcium and magnesium. Coconut water is replacing sports drinks in both professional and amateur athletes to replenish electrolytes and eliminate cramping. Currently, I am drinking the Vita Coco brand that has added fruit juice. We also stock a water with lime juice.









I saved the best for last. Turtle Mountain makes a variety of coconut milk based products. Coconut milk comes from cooking the meat of mature coconuts. It is rich in texture like cream and has a high oil and sugar content. Rarely eating bovine dairy, I rejoiced when I found ice cream made with coconut milk. The Pure Decadent brand is by far my favorite and I would wage that it's as good as anything coming from B & J or HD. This brand sweetens with Agave nectar, which I also use now instead of honey or sugar. NadaMOO!!! and Coconut Bliss are carried by my regular grocer so I have to stock up when I make it to Whole Foods.

















I just discovered the So Delicious brand, also by Turtle Mountain, is making dessert bars (Chocolate robed vanilla ice milk on a stick) and ice milk sanwhiches! Nabbed those up immediately. I also buy the brand's yogurt when at Whole Foods. I find it more tart than yogurt, and frankly not as enjoyable as the sinfully good Fage, but I prefer it over goat milk yogurt.

All things coconut are gaining in promenience in nutritional and alternative, wholistic uses. The Coconut Research Center compiles and publishes articles on the nutrition and uses of coconut products. Anti viral, bacterial, fungal and parasitic is reason enough to start consuming coconut!

It does taste good. Coconut milk is spendid in morning smoothies. Firm white fish is delicious cooked in a combination of coconut milk and diced tomatoes. Hydrating is always a problem, and the resulting cramping, when working out but coconut water does that plus naturally restores our electrolytes. Diminshing cow dairy in my diet is more choice than necessity and I am hoping that substitutions of some of my favorite foods with coconut products will garner a healthier state.

Heck, millions of people around the equator can't be wrong!

Side note: I originally planned on naming this post Loco Coco. I did not because it is slang for the male member.

1 comment:

Annie said...

I heard a great deal on coconut oil, it has become a wide spread of varieties and brand names that promote good health using this product.